I have a bad habit of using old appliances until they catch fire or shock me into unconsciousness.
I’ve been so determined to keep my mid-century Pfaff sewing machine going that I’ve nearly set the house on fire twice. The first time, I warned the shopkeeper that I was bringing it in for service because it had nearly caught fire and to please be careful.
When I came to pick it up, he said, “Dang, we nearly set the shop on fire.”
Today was the last straw. Tomorrow, I buy a new machine. There is too much to do for Christmas, and I can tell I’m just asking for trouble.
After all the sparks flew this time, Sam came into the office/sewing room/Santa’s workshop and said, “What’s that burning smell?”